Dapol O Gauge WC&PR 4 A1X Class Terrier 0-6-0T Lined Green Antics Limited Edition ANTSPEC1
Dapol O Gauge WC&PR 4 A1X Class Terrier 0-6-0T Lined Green Antics Limited Edition
Dapol O Gauge A1X Class Terrier WC&PR 4 Lined Green Livery Antics Limited
A special limited edition model only available from Antics!
The Weston Clevedon and Portishead Railway was a
13 3/4 mile light railway in North Somerset opened in 1897 between Weston Super Mare and
Clevedon, the extension to Portishead being completed in 1907. The railway owned a variety
of locomotives, choice being restricted by the lines' maximum axle load limit of just 10
tons. Latterly the principal locomotives were two ex-LB&SCR/SR 'Terrier' 0-6-0 tank
engines, numbered 2 and 4.
This model recreates Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway No. 4 as running in the
Built as LB&SCR number 53 Ashtead and rebuilt to A1X specification in 1912 she was
purchased for the WC&P by W H Austen in 1937. Overhauled by the Southern she was
delivered under her own steam via Salisbury in Southern livery of Maunsel green with white
lining and black edging. On arrival at the light railways' Clevedon shed the company's
initials were added in chrome yellow, formed in an arc over the number using stencils
created for lettering the lines' passenger coaches.
The two Terriers were the lines principal steam motive power in the late 1930s and were
passed to the GWR on the lines' closure in 1940. Allocated number 6 by the GWR the former
WC&P 4 was initially used by the for the recovery of wagons stranded on the closed line
and recovery of reusable materials, the GWR having no locomotive of similarly light axle
load. Afterwards and under wartime conditions sources suggest GWR 6 was sent to
Nottingham by the Ministry of Supply, however both engines were repainted into GWR green
and worked from Bristol St Philips Marsh shed. Duties included service over the harbourside
lines of Bristols' City docks and shunting at Frys' Somerdale chocolate factory at nearby
Keynsham. GWR 6 was withdrawn shortly after nationalisation in 1948, donating some usable
parts to number 5.
Alongside this locomotive we are planning to produce a number of wagons from the Weston
Clevedon and Portishead line over the next few years including Clevedon Gas Company and
Black Rock Quarries wagons. We will add to the list other owners and coal merchants whose
wagons appaered on the WC&P where these are not already available from the Dapol or
Lionheart Trains ranges as we find good photos.
Due to limitations of the Dapol tooling it prevented the fitting of the condensing pipes in
the production stage. We have also asked Dapol to supply extra brake and air pipes to allow
the extra brake and air control fittings to be modelled, however modellers need to be aware
that the model was not designed to have all of these fitted, so lacks location marks
The Weston Clevedon and Portishead Railway was a 13 3/4 mile standard gauge light railway in North Somerset opened in 1897 between Weston Super Mare and Clevedon, the extension to Portishead being completed in 1907. The line was in the hands of the receiver from 1909 and was operated under the management of light railways specialist Colonel Holman Stephens and later his former deputy W H Austen until closure in 1940. The main creditor at the time was the Great Western Railway who took over the remainder of the lines' usable rolling stock, principally the WC&Ps two terrier locomotives, in lieu of payments owned.
Operated on a shoestring the line ran through sparsely-populated and level countryside, though provided the only direct link between the coastal towns and communities, the GWRs line being further inland and needing a passenger to change trains, often at least twice, to complete a journey 'along the coast'. Most of the locomotives and rolling stock were bought second-hand from various sources, a varied collection notable for including open balcony coaches and early petrol railcars trialled by the Southern.
Despite the ecconomies permitted by the Light Railways act and effected through the use of petrol railcars in place of steam locomotives for many passenger services the line never managed to emerge from receivership and, not having been included in the lines deemed essential for wartime use, closed on the 18th of May 1940.
The WC&Ps' second 'Terrier' No.4 was ex-LBSCR 53 Ashtead, rebuilt to A1X in 1912. Out of service on the Southern in 1937 when W H Austen was seeking another locomotive light railway she arrived under her own steam in Maunsell era Southern livery, described by the lines' historians as mid green with black edging and white lining. The company's initials were added to the side tanks in chrome yellow letters using a large stencil created for lettering the coaches, the letters forming an arc over the number.
LB&SCR 53 is a locomotive with an interesting history, having become the first Terrier to receive the new 2000 series numbers, but being stored by the mid-1930s, one source suggesting it lacked wheels and motion when inspected by W H Austen, having donated these parts to speed the overhaul of a sister Terrier.
Following the closure of the WC&P line the GWR used No.4 to recover 'stranded' wagons and re-usable materials, the larger company having no alternative locomotive light enough to safely traverse the light railways bridges. The WC&P having purchased one of the GWRs few lightweight locomotives, number 1384, many years previously, though this engine did prove too much for a WC&P bridge near the companys' wharf in 1934!
Becoming GWR no.6 WC&P No.4 is believed to have been allocated to Bristol St Phillips Marsh shed and been used on temperary military camps around the Bristol area, as one of the few engines the GWR was willing to risk on temporary track! Some sources suggest she was also sent to work at a Ministry of Supply depot in the Nottingham area, though details of wartime workings were carefully censored and both Terriers could be found at Bristol in the post-war period. Though nominally of the same class as WC&PR 2 'Portishead' (GWR 5) number 4 was actually less powerful than her sister engine, having had lined cylinders fitted along with air-control system for pull-push train working and GWR 5 was withdrawn in 1948, possibly donating parts to keep her sister running.
Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway, Christopher Redwood Locomotives Illustrated Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Pictorial Record, Peter Strange
Website: 9+ Available from shops: Bristol: 2, Cardiff: 1, Coventry: 1, Gloucester: 2, Plymouth: 2, Stroud: 3 ( explain)
(Prod Ref #35221)
MRP: £249.00 Antics Price: £225.00