Dapol OO Hilliers Bacon Curing Open Coal Wagon Antics Special Edition ANT045
Produced by Dapol exclusively for Antics.
Hillier's Bacon Curing company of Newmarket, Nailsworth (near Stroud) was an early user of
the new railway system, coal and animals were brought into the station by train, the
pigs being driven through the streets of Nailsworth to the Newmarket plant.
The prototype for this wagon, numbered 1, was located in a photograph of Lydney Junction
yard in 1908, suggesting the company was purchasing coal from the Forest of Dean, the wagon
travelling via the Severn Bridge and Midland Railway to reach Nailsworth. The wagon was an
elderly 6-plank open with a load capacity of 8 tons, similar to later 5 plank
wagons. Little is firmly known of the wagon, the body is a lighter colour than the end
ironwork, so we picked red oxide as an appropriate bacon colour.
Much of the detailed lettering is not clearly legible, however return instructions fit with
the common inscription from the period for Lydney Junction, the location of
the photograph. Travelling via the Severn bridge to Lydney a wagon could quickly be
directed onward for loading at several Forest of Dean collieries.
We hope you will enjoy the sight of this interesting wagon on your layout, especially after
enjoying a rasher or two of bacon for breakfast! Hilliers Bacon Curing was a Nailsworth based company with premises in Newmarket, Nailsworth and Pasonage Street, Dursley. Established in 1819 by Mr Hillier a butcher, in partnership with a Mr Blackwell a limited company was formed in 1865, by which time around 300 pigs per week were being processed. Finished products being advertised including finest Wiltshire bacon, matured hams and sausages. The company is well remembered in Nailsworth for the driving of pigs through the streets from the railway station and a history can be found at http://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/2005/gi200530.pdf
The company was quick to take advantage of the opening of the Nailsworth railway branch by the Midland Railway, obtaining at least one railway wagon which was used for the supply of coal from the Forest of Dean via Lydney and the Severn Bridge which linked nearby Sharpness and the Midland Railway to the Forest of Dean collieries.
Website: 3 Available from shops: Bristol: 2, Gloucester: 1, Stroud: 3 ( explain)
(Prod Ref #25078)